Steps for installing ubuntu kernel
- Get the source code
apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)
- Perform this step only for the first time you build kernel.
sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)
- Building kernel Now move inside the downloaded kernel directory and type following commands.
- fakeroot debian/rules clean
fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic
- sudo dpkg -i linux*2.6.38-7.37*.deb
- Now reboot. After rebooting you can do uname -r to check whether you have booted into new kernel.
Steps for uninstalling ubuntu kernel
- Open the Synaptic package manager. If its not present you can at first install it.
- Now check your current kernel version using uname -r . Or just make a note of the kernel version which you want to remove.
- Now inside Synaptic package manager you will find "search". Inside that type 'linux-image'.
- After that you will see different kernel images which are installed in your pc.
- Now select the one which you want to remove and mark it for removal.
- After that apply the changes to remove that kernel version.